Assessments are a great tool–when used properly. I have seen a lot of companies misuse or even abuse them. Know the laws and know the facts about them!
The Department of Labor 13 Assessment Principles are:
- Use assessment tools in a purposeful manner.
- Use the whole-person approach to assessment.
- Use only assessment instruments that are unbiased and fair to all groups.
- Use only reliable assessment instruments and procedures.
- Use only assessment procedures and instruments that have been demonstrated to be valid for the specific purpose for which they are being used.
- Use assessment tools that are appropriate for the target population.
- Use assessment instruments for which understandable and comprehensive documentation is available.
- Ensure that administration staffs are properly trained.
- Ensure that testing conditions are suitable for all test takers.
- Provide reasonable accommodation in the assessment process for people with disabilities.
- Maintain assessment instrument security.
- Maintain confidentially of assessment results.
- Ensure that scores are interpreted properly.